An award-winning advocate for injured workers in Georgia
Tom has represented injured workers in Georgia, as well as widows and families, since 1984. His goals are to help educate injured workers so that they know their rights. He is a certified mediator and a founding partner of Gerber & Holder.
Tom graduated from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, where he received a Bachelor’s Degree in History/Political Science. He earned his Juris Doctor degree from Atlanta’s Emory University School of Law in 1981.
After graduating from Emory, Tom worked as an Associate Attorney at two widely respected law firms—one of which became the largest plaintiff’s law firm in the state of Georgia. In 1986, Tom founded his own law firm with James J. Long—called Long & Holder, LLP—which focused on work-related head injuries, death cases, and all other cases involving workers’ compensation. He successfully managed this firm for 32 years.
These days, Tom has joined forces with well-respected Atlanta work injury attorney Ben Gerber to give clients the best possible legal representation in their work injury case.
In 2017, Tom was selected as a Super Lawyer for the 14th straight year and as a member of the Georgia Top 100 for the fifth time. He is one of only two Georgia workers’ compensation attorneys to be so honored.
His other accomplishments include:
- AV, Martindale-Hubbell, 2017
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2017
- Fellow, Knights of the Bar, 2017
- Fellow, The College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, 2017
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2004 – 2017
- Georgia Super Lawyer Top 100, 2012 – 2013, 2015-2017
- Georgia Super Lawyer, Blue Ribbon Selection Committee, 2008 – 2009
- Fellow, Lawyers’ Foundation of Georgia
- Avvo.Com Rating of 10.0 out of 10
- Outstanding Young Men of America, 1986
Associations & Memberships
Tom is a past chairman of the State Bar of Georgia Workers’ Compensation Section, the Founding Chair of the Atlanta Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section, and a current member of the Executive Committee of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association and the Georgia Injured Workers Advocates.
In 2018, Holder was elected President of the Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group (WILG) after serving on its Board of Directors.
Other professional associations he is involved with include:
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group (national organization of attorneys who represent injured workers), President-Elect, 2017 – 2018
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Treasurer, 2016 – 2017
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Secretary, 2015 – 2016
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Board Member, 2013 – 2015
- Georgia Injured Workers Advocates, Executive Committee, 2015 – 2018
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club, 2007 – Present
- Georgia Trial Lawyers’ Association, Workers’ Compensation Section, Executive Committee, 1992 – Present
- State Bar of Georgia Workers’ Compensation, Chair, 2000 – 2001
- Atlanta Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section, Founding Chair, 1986 – 1989
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta, 1988 – Present
Tom Holder Elected President of the Workers’ Injury Law and Advocacy Group
Tom Holder has been elected President of WILG, a national non-profit organization dedicated to representing the interests of millions of injured workers and their families. Tom is the first Georgia attorney to be President of WILG… Read More
Volunteering & Pro Bono Work
- Holiday Helping Hands, Inc., 2013 – 2016
- Kids’ Chance, 1992 – 2016
- Atlanta Youth Soccer Association, Team Mgr, 2006 – 2012
- Grady HS Boys Soccer Team, Public Address Announcer, 2012
- Youth Basketball Coach, 2000 – 2009
- Board of Directors, Friends of Inman Park, 2006
- Inman Park Neighborhood Association, President, 1996 – 1998
- The Temple, Member
- The Temple, Chairman, Men’s Club, 2007 – 2009
- The Temple, Member, Board of Trustees, 2007 – 2009
- The Temple, High Holidays Usher Captain, 2004
- Chairman, Kids Chance, Inc., “Fun Run,” 1992
Tom grew up in Valley Stream, NY, but has lived in Atlanta since 1977. He lives in the intown neighborhood of Inman Park and is a proud father. He’s also proud of the work he has done representing injured workers in Georgia since 1986.
Client Reviews & Testimonials
Have you or a loved one been hurt on the job?
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and discuss your case with experienced Georgia workers’ compensation attorney Tom Long.