An award-winning advocate for injured workers in Georgia
Tom has represented injured workers in Georgia, as well as widows and families, since 1984. His goals are to help educate injured workers so that they know their rights. He is a certified mediator and a founding partner of Gerber & Holder.
Tom graduated from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. He received his J.D. from Emory University School of Law.
After graduating from Emory, Tom worked as an Associate Attorney at two widely respected law firms—one of which became the largest plaintiff’s law firm in the state of Georgia. In 1986, Tom founded his own law firm with James J. Long—called Long & Holder, LLP—which focused on work-related head injuries, death cases, and all other cases involving workers’ compensation. He successfully managed this firm for 32 years.
These days, Tom has joined forces with well-respected Atlanta work injury attorney Ben Gerber to give their clients the best possible legal representation in their work injury case. Now he practices with the firm of Gerber & Holder and exclusively devotes his time to representing injured workers in Georgia. Tom is a nationally known expert in workers’ compensation law.
In 2017, Tom was selected as a Super Lawyer for the 14th straight year and as a member of the Georgia Top 100 for the fifth time. He is one of only two Georgia workers’ compensation attorneys to be so honored.
His other accomplishments include:
- AV, Martindale-Hubbell, 2017
- Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2017
- Fellow, Knights of the Bar, 2017
- Fellow, The College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, 2017
- Georgia Super Lawyer, 2004 – 2017
- Georgia Super Lawyer Top 100, 2012 – 2013, 2015-2017
- Georgia Super Lawyer, Blue Ribbon Selection Committee, 2008 – 2009
- Fellow, Lawyers’ Foundation of Georgia
- Avvo.Com Rating of 10.0 out of 10
- Outstanding Young Men of America, 1986
Associations & Memberships
Nationally, Tom is the President of WILG, the national claimants attorneys’ organization, and is a Fellow of The College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers, a status held by only 25 Georgia lawyers.
In Georgia, Tom is a past Chair of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the State Bar of Georgia, and a longtime member of the Board of Directors of WCCL, the workers’ compensation section of the Trial Lawyers Association. He serves on the Licensure and Self-Insurance Committee of the Chair’s Advisory Council, which advises the Chairman on matters related to workers’ compensation law.
Other professional associations Tom is involved in:
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group (national organization of attorneys who represent injured workers), President-Elect, 2017 – 2018
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Treasurer, 2016 – 2017
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Secretary, 2015 – 2016
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Board Member, 2013 – 2015
- Georgia Injured Workers Advocates, Executive Committee, 2015 – 2018
- Old War Horse Lawyers Club, 2007 – Present
- Georgia Trial Lawyers’ Association, Workers’ Compensation Section, Executive Committee, 1992 – Present
- State Bar of Georgia Workers’ Compensation, Chair, 2000 – 2001
- Atlanta Bar Association Workers’ Compensation Section, Founding Chair, 1986 – 1989
- Lawyers Club of Atlanta, 1988 – Present
Tom Holder has been elected President of WILG, a national non-profit organization dedicated to representing the interests of millions of injured workers and their families. Tom is the first Georgia attorney to be President of WILG… Read More
Firm Partner Tom Holder was interviewed by WILG Past President Alan Pierce on his Podcast WC Matters.
This episode is about drug formularies.
Volunteering & Pro Bono Work
- Holiday Helping Hands, Inc., 2013 – 2016
- Kids’ Chance, 1992 – 2016
- Atlanta Youth Soccer Association, Team Mgr, 2006 – 2012
- Grady HS Boys Soccer Team, Public Address Announcer, 2012
- Youth Basketball Coach, 2000 – 2009
- Board of Directors, Friends of Inman Park, 2006
- Inman Park Neighborhood Association, President, 1996 – 1998
- The Temple, Member
- The Temple, Chairman, Men’s Club, 2007 – 2009
- The Temple, Member, Board of Trustees, 2007 – 2009
- The Temple, High Holidays Usher Captain, 2004
- Chairman, Kids Chance, Inc., “Fun Run,” 1992
Tom grew up in Valley Stream, NY, but has lived in Atlanta since 1977. He lives in the intown neighborhood of Inman Park and is a proud father. He’s also proud of the work he has done representing injured workers in Georgia since 1986.
Client Reviews & Testimonials
Have you or a loved one been hurt on the job?
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and discuss your case with experienced Georgia workers’ compensation attorney Tom Long.